The Information we collect
We may collect the following information about you:
- A username and email address when you register with our website;
- Any other information that you choose to provide us with following registration, such as your full name, date of birth, contact details and whether or not you are a smoker;
- Information that you choose to post on public areas of our website such as adding a Smoke Spot or posting in our forums or in comments, including any personal opinions you provide;
- Information that you provide in response to polls, questionnaires or surveys on our website;
- Information that you provide when entering any competition on our website or when creating an event on our website;
- Information that we obtain about you from third parties. Where we obtain any such information we will ensure that the third parties have adequate security measures in place to safeguard your information and that they have obtained consent to pass your information on to us;
- Information that you provide when reporting any problem or complaint;
- Technical information including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, your browser type and version and your operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit to our website, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), length of visits to pages and methods used to browse away from the page.
We may also gather information from social media sites via competitions run by us which you enter through those sites. The information we will gather includes your social media ID, username and email address as well as any further information required to be provided for the purposes of the particular competition.
If you provide information to us about any person other than yourself, you must ensure that they understand how their information will be used and that you are authorised to disclose it to us, and to consent to its use on their behalf, before doing so.
How we will use your information
We may use the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To verify that you meet the minimum age requirement of 18 to enter and use our website.
- To create your individual profile.
- To identify visitors to our site.
- To provide any of the services that you request from us or to inform you if any services are unavailable.
- To contact you in relation to any competition that you enter.
- To deal with any problems or complaints that you raise with us.
- To analyse the results of any surveys or questionnaires that you fill in and to carry out research based on those results.
- To administer and conduct Smoke Spots and the Smoke Spots website.
- To assess, analyse and improve the effectiveness and performance of the Smoke Spots website, including through carrying out market research.
- Where you have consented and where we are permitted to do so, to contact you by telephone, email, post, text or video message in relation to news, events, opportunities and offers.
Disclosing your personal information
We may share your personal details with any other member of the group of companies of which Imperial is a member for any of the purposes listed above.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- Where it is necessary to enable any of our staff, employees, agents, suppliers, service providers or commercial partners to provide a service to us or to perform a function on our behalf; and
- Where we consider disclosure of your personal information to other businesses, financial organisations or law enforcement agencies to be necessary or desirable with a view to the prevention or detection of fraud, or if we are required or permitted to do so by law, or if we consider disclosure necessary to protect and defend the rights, property or personal safety of Imperial, Smoke Spots or other visitors to our website.
- As part of a sale or purchase of any business or assets, or where Imperial or any of its group companies are being acquired by a third party.
Where we use third parties to process your personal information, we will ensure that they have adequate security measures in place to safeguard your personal information.
If your information is transferred to a country outside the European Economic Area, we will take steps to ensure that your personal information will be afforded the same level of protection as that required from us by data protection laws in the UK.
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge a small fee towards the cost of administering any request you make. The current fee is £10.00. We may also take steps to verify your identity before responding to your request. Once we have received the fee and verified your identity we will respond as quickly as possible and in any event within 40 days.
Please help us to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date. If you think that any information we have about you is incorrect, incomplete or out of date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will correct or update any information about you as soon as reasonably possible.
If you have consented to us contacting you for marketing purposes, you have a right at any time to ask us to stop processing your information for this purpose. You can exercise this right by emailing us at email@example.com.
We use ‘cookie’ technology to provide online visitors with a personalised online experience, to make things easier for website visitors, and to learn about how our website is performing.
In order to achieve this, we may store some information on your computer, usually within your web browser. This information will be in the form of a ‘cookie’ or similar file, and it allows the website to recognise your computer during your visit to our website.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file, usually made up of letters and numbers, that is downloaded to your computer when you access websites. A cookie will normally contain the following information: site name and unique user ID, duration of the cookie’s abilities and effects, and a random number. In general, cookies cannot be used to reveal any personal information about you, such as your name, address, age etc.
Which cookies do we use and why?
We use the following types of cookie:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website, for example cookies that enable you to log into our website.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors use our website. They help us to improve the way our website works, for example by ensuring that users can find what they are looking for easily.
- Targeting cookies. These record your visit to our website, the pages you have viewed and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website more relevant to your interests.
The individual cookies we use are as follows:
- session_database: this is required for the website to work and to interact with the database. It is stored on a user’s computer for 12 hours.
- TDCPM, TDID, anj, icu, sess, uuid2: these cookies are used for tracking purposes.
You can change the settings in your web browser to control how cookies are accepted or stored by your browser and computer and to block cookies if you wish. www.aboutcookies.org is a useful website that gives you information about how different browsers manage cookies. However, if you disable or restrict cookies, then you may find that some areas of our websites no longer function correctly for you.
How to contact us
The SmokeSpots Team
Imperial Tobacco Ltd
123 Winterstoke Road